The conference was begun in 2003 by the University of Otago Theory of Computing Group. Since then the conference has been held annually for eight years. The past conferences were:
- PP2003, held at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand
Plenary speaker: Herbert Wilf
Proceedings: Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 9 (2), 2002–2003.
- PP2004, held at Malaspina University-College in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Plenary speakers: Miklós Bóna and Gabor Tardos
- PP2005, held at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida
Plenary speaker: Doron Zeilberger
Proceedings: Advances in Applied Mathematics 36 (2), 2006.
- PP2006, held at Reykjavik University in Reykjavik, Iceland
Plenary speaker: Michael Albert
Proceedings: Annals of Combinatorics 11 (3–4), 2007.
- PP2007, held at the University of St Andrews in St Andrews, Scotland
Plenary speakers: Mike Atkinson and Martin Klazar
Proceedings: Permutation Patterns, LMS Lecture Note Series 376, 2010.
- PP2008, held at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand
Plenary speaker: Mireille Bousquet-Mélou
Proceedings: Annals of Combinatorics, 14 (1), 2010.
- PP2009, held at the University of Firenze in Florence, Italy
Plenary speaker: Einar Steingrímsson
Proceedings: Pure Mathematics and Applications, to appear.
- PP2010, to be held at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire
Plenary speakers: Nik Ruškuc and Richard Stanley
Proceedings: Pure Mathematics and Applications, accepting submissions until 2011.