Dartmouth SIAM Putnam
Learning Objectives for Majors and Minors
Learning objectives common to majors and all minors.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to formulate, interpret and draw inferences from mathematical models.
- Students will demonstrate competence with a wide variety of mathematical tools and techniques.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to assess the accuracy, implications and limitations of their mathematical results.
- Students will demonstrate a breadth of general mathematical knowledge as well as depth in at least one area.
For our minors (applied math, mathematical finance, mathematical physics, mathematical biology, etc.) and our Math modified with Philosophy major, we have two additional learning objectives:
- Students will demonstrate a breadth of knowledge in the associated field.
- Students will understand the interactions between mathematics and the associated field and demonstrate the ability to apply mathematical concepts and techniques in to problems in that field.